1 a collection containing a variety of sorts of things; "a great assortment of cars was on display"; "he had a variety of disorders"; "a veritable smorgasbord of religions" [syn: assortment, mixture, mixed bag, miscellany, miscellanea, salmagundi, smorgasbord, potpourri, motley]
2 noticeable heterogeneity; "a diversity of possibilities"; "the range and variety of his work is amazing" [syn: diverseness, diversity, multifariousness]
3 (biology) a taxonomic category consisting of members of a species that differe from others of the same species in minor but heritable characteristics; "varieties are frequently recognized in botany"
4 a show consisting of a series of short unrelated performances [syn: variety show]
5 a category of things distinguished by some common characteristic or quality; "sculpture is a form of art"; "what kinds of desserts are there?" [syn: kind, sort, form]
6 a difference that is usually pleasant; "he goes to France for variety"; "it is a refreshing change to meet a woman mechanic" [syn: change]
rank in a taxonomic classification
Variety may refer to:
- Variety (botany), a rank in botany below that of species.
- Variety (cybernetics), the number of possible states of a system or of an element of the system.
- Variety (linguistics), a concept that includes for instance dialects, standard language and jargon.
- Variety (magazine), an entertainment industry newspaper.
- Variety (mineralogy), a mineral-subform
- Variety (numismatics), a term in coin collecting.
- Variety (philately), a term in stamp collecting.
- Variety (plant), a legal term.
- Variety (radio), a format of radio programming.
- Wine variety, or varietal, wines made primarily from a single named grape variety
- Variety show, a name for a genre of musical theatre entertainment
- Variety store, a store with low prices and a variety of merchandise
- Variety, the Children's Charity, an international charity that raises funds to help children with special needs
- Algebraic variety or projective variety, the basic object of study in algebraic geometry
- Affine variety, a subset of algebraic varieties
- Projective variety, a subset of algebraic varieties
- Quasiprojective variety, a subset of algebraic varieties (which includes projecive and affine varieties)
- Abelian variety, a complex torus that can be embedded into projective space
- Variety (universal algebra), classes of algebraic structures defined by equations in universal algebra
- Varieté, a 1925 silent film.
- Variety (1935 film), a 1935 musical film.
- Variety (1983 film), a 1983 drama film.
variety in Czech: Varieta
variety in German: Varietät
variety in Spanish: Variedad
variety in French: Variété
variety in Japanese: バラエティ
variety in Dutch: Variëteit
variety in Low German: Varietät
variety in Slovak: Varieta
Broadway, Proteus, a certain number, a few, about-face, accommodation, adaptation, adjustment, affiliation, allotropism, allotropy, alteration, amelioration, apostasy, assortment, betterment, biotype, blood, body, branch, brand, break, breed, burlesque, capriciousness, cast, category, change, change of heart, changeability, changeableness, character, choice, choppiness, church, circus, clan, class, classification, collectanea, collection, color, communion, community, conglomerate, conglomeration, constructive change, continuity, contrariety, contrast, conversion, dappleness, defection, degeneration, degenerative change, denomination, departure, description, designation, desultoriness, deterioration, deviability, deviation, difference, differentiation, disaccord, disaccordance, disagreement, disconformity, discongruity, discontinuity, discordance, discrepancy, discreteness, disorder, disparity, dissent, dissimilarity, dissonance, distinction, distinctness, divarication, divergence, divergency, diversification, diversion, diversity, division, drama, eccentricity, entertainment industry, erraticism, faction, family, far cry, feather, fellowship, fickleness, fitting, flightiness, flip-flop, form, freakishness, genotype, genre, genus, grade, gradual change, grain, group, her infinite variety, heterogeneity, heteromorphism, hodgepodge, ilk, improvement, impulsiveness, inaccordance, incompatibility, incongruity, inconsistency, inconsonance, inconstancy, inequality, inharmoniousness, inharmony, instability, irreconcilability, irregularity, jerkiness, kidney, kin, kind, kingdom, label, legit, legitimate stage, line, lot, make, manifoldness, manner, mark, medley, melioration, mercuriality, miscellanea, miscellany, mitigation, mix, mixture, modification, modulation, mold, moodiness, more, motleyness, multifariousness, multiformity, multiplicity, mutability, nature, nonconformism, nonconformity, nonstandardization, nonuniformity, nonuniqueness, number, numerousness, oddments, odds, odds and ends, off Broadway, off-off-Broadway, offshoot, omnifariousness, omniformity, omnium-gatherum, opposition, order, organization, otherness, overthrow, party, persuasion, phylum, playland, pluralism, plurality, pluralness, polymorphism, qualification, race, radical change, raggedness, range, rank, re-creation, realignment, redesign, reform, reformation, religious order, remaking, renewal, repertory drama, reshaping, restlessness, restructuring, reversal, revival, revivification, revolution, schism, school, sect, sectarism, section, segment, selection, separateness, series, several, shape, shapeshifter, shift, shiftiness, show biz, show business, society, sort, species, stage world, stagedom, stageland, stamp, stock, strain, strawhat, strawhat circuit, stripe, style, subclass, subfamily, subgenus, subkingdom, suborder, subspecies, subtribe, sudden change, summer stock, sundries, superclass, superfamily, superorder, superspecies, switch, the boards, the footlights, the like of, the likes of, the scenes, the stage, the theater, theater world, theatromania, theatrophobia, total change, transition, tribe, turn, turnabout, type, uncertainty, unconformism, unconformity, undependability, unevenness, unfixedness, unlikeness, unorthodoxy, unpredictability, unreliability, unsettledness, unstableness, unsteadfastness, unsteadiness, upheaval, variability, variance, variation, variegation, variousness, vaudeville, versatility, version, violent change, wantonness, wavering, waywardness, whimsicality, worsening